One of the biggest resolutions every year is to lose weight. Sure we want to go to the fancy gyms and get a trainer. I know my local wellness center has a monthly fee of $60 and that's a bit too pricey for me.
By now the gym memberships specials are over and the exercise equipment you bought on New Years is still sitting in the corner collecting dust. So how can you keep a good exercise routine and stay on a budget? Here are some great tips.
Use Your Surroundings
There are ways to exercise without spending a dime and can be very effective. Taking small steps helps to make exercise a part of your life.
- Walking or jogging around your neighborhood. Don't forget to grab that pedometer and get yourself a good pair of shoes.
- If you have stairs use them! Go find a football field or a school gym work the stairs for a quick cardio burn.
- Play outside with the kids. Having fun with your kids can strengthen your bond with them and keep you active.
- Find local fitness class being offered by churches or community centers. These are cheaper than then what the gym offers and smaller for those of us that are a bit shy.
- Rent a video. Usually your local library has some workout videos for free for you to check out and use. You can also check online at places like Netflix or Hulu Exercise TV.
Alternative Exercise Equipment
Exercise equipment can be expensive but I bet you have items in your home that won't cost you a thing to use and can be just as effective.
- Items such as water bottles, milk jugs or soup cans can be used as weights. A bag of potatoes can come in really handy.
- Counters or walls can be used a push up bench
- Pantyhose or bungee cords can substitute for a resistance band. Tip- go to a physical therapy place in your town and ask them if you can purchase a exercise band. They are very cheap to buy.
- Lift a laundry basket or your child to help with squats. Remember to do them correctly or you may injury yourself.
Start Eating Healthy
We all know that you need to eat healthy while your improve your fitness. Without each other the weight loss is slower or does not happen. Here are a few things to keep in mind to eat healthy.
- Frequent Healthy Meals – Experts say eat at least three meals and two snacks per day. I know that may seem like a lot but over time your body will become used to this frequency and crave the food.
- A Good Day Starts With Breakfast- Breakfast is the most important meal of the say. It get your metabolism going and gives you the energy to get the day started. If you are an on the go person like myself, quick healthy breakfasts are a must.
- Fruits and Veggies Increase- 8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day to seem seems unreal. If we think about it one serving of grapes is only 15 grapes. I can easily do 2-3 in a setting.
Remember it doesn't have to cost a lot to keep healthy and in shape. Use your surroundings and get creative with the food you have. I was always under the impression that it's expensive to be healthy, it can be, but if you look for sales and use what you have in your house, you can be just as healthy as someone who its the gym every day.
If you have any tips or tricks for us, please leave a comment. We love to to hear from you.